Tuesday, March 17, 2009

18th March - New beginnings

I'm a complete ludite in regard to blogging. I've never done it before. That's why I've undertaken the "Licence to testdrive programme" at the State Library of Queensland. I've watched the video clips along the way and I've followed the prompts and filled in the boxes where necessary and hey presto - I'm blogging.

I'm sure I'll get stuck or confused along the way, but hey, that's how you learn - as the expression goes - you learn by your mistakes. So far, so good. I hope the rest of the programme is as easy to follow as it has been so far. I'm looking forward to learning more about a lot of the new technologies and how they can be used to my benefit and to friends. With family overseas, I'm sure I'll find tools that I can use to make contact a lot more interesting.

Looking at the various blogs shown as examples, it seems to me libraries are embracing this technology to promote themselves, their activiities, what they have to offer and to promote new materials held in their libraries. This is a fantastic way to get across their message to the computer savvy community using the technology that the young have embraced and grown up with.

I feel as if I've at least taken the first step along the way in this programme. The first step, they say, is the hardest and, really, it hasn't been that hard at all. I look forward to the next step.